Blake Matthews is a partner with the firm, having started his career with Cornelius & Collins in 1986. The focus of his practice is civil litigation in the areas of commercial litigation, employment law, and commercial and business transactions. Blake also represents professional and trade associations, serving as general counsel for business affairs. He represents plaintiffs and defendants, and is admitted to practice in all state courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Blake has significant experience in the trial courts and appellate courts throughout Tennessee. He has successfully tried lawsuits to verdict in over half of Tennessee’s 95 counties. He also engages in regular practice in the federal courts throughout Tennessee and has handled appeals before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also has significant experience handling administrative matters before the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development and the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance.
Since 2009, Blake has been selected by his peers for inclusion in U.S. News’ Best Lawyers in American registry for both commercial litigation and workers compensation practice. In 2016, the Best Lawyers’ publication named Blake “Best Lawyer of the Year-Nashville” for his work on behalf of employers in the workers’ compensation field. Blake has also been selected by his peers for inclusion as a “Mid-South Super Lawyer” in the general civil litigation category since 2013.
Blake has been a featured lecturer on various topics to attorney groups and professional associates. He has also served as an expert witness on Tennessee Law topics in multiple jurisdictions.
Blake received his law degree from the University of Tennessee College of Law, where he graduated summa cum laude, and was named to the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. He was also elected to membership in The Order of the Coif, the highest academic honor bestowed upon graduates of the College of Law. Following graduation, Blake served multiple terms on the College of Law’s Alumni Advisory Council. He obtained his undergraduate degree from the Centre College in Danville, Kentucky, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics. Blake has served on the Parents’ Board at Centre College for the past ten years. Blake is currently a Trustee for Belle Meade United Methodist Church. He has served as a director on the Board of Treetops at Harpeth Trace and is currently a member of the Board of Directors for Harpeth Trace Services Association.
Blake is the proud parent of three daughters: Ellen, Julia, and Sarah.
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Padilla v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., 324 S.W.3d 507 (Tenn. 2010).
- Doe v. HCA Health Services of Tennessee, Inc., 46 S.W.3d 191 (Tenn. 2001)
- O’Leary v. Johnson, 84 S.W.3d 584 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2002)
- Strategic Capital Resources, Inc. v. Dylan Tire Industries, LLC, 102 S.W.3d 603 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2002)
- Winners Corp. v. Lafeyette Life Ins. Co.,734 F.Supp. 812 (M.D. Tenn. 1989).
- Order of The Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2020
- Mid South Super Lawyers 2013-2019
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Director Emeritus
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- University of Tennessee, College of Law, Alumni Advisory Council, Member Emeritus
- American Bar Association Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Law Committee
- Nashville Bar Association, Pro Bono Program
- Nashville Bar Association, Fee Dispute Committee, Arbitrator/Mediator
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Board of Directors
- Centre College, Parents’ Board
- University of Tennessee College of Law Alumni Advisory Council
- Vine Street Christian Church, Chairman, Board of Directors, Deacon, Stewardship Chair
- Tennessee Dental Association Foundation, Director
Beta Theta Pi